Monday, March 17, 2014

Module 5 Reflection

As I learn about all these tools, I realize more and more why I decided to become a math teacher: I am not creative. Coming up with a lesson for this mini project stretched my mind a little. However, I realize the importance of making the material relevant and engaging for our students. Why I love pure mathematics, most students want to know why they have to sit there and learn the material, as well as how it will help them in the real world. For my second Mini Project, I selected a Google Maps Trek. Students look at examples of architecture around the world that employ geometric concepts in a unique way. Of course, with geometry being the study of the measurements of the world, shapes are all around us. Hopefully this activity will get the students thinking about the concepts we cover in class in a more practical and useful method. I integrate it as an introduction into a lesson on 3-D shapes.

A couple of topics stood out to me in the reading for this week. In Coffman’s Using Inquiry in the Classroom, the idea of bringing inquiry into assessments really caught my eye. The importance of authentic assessments is discussed regularly among teachers. However, this is the first time I heard about bringing inquiry into assessment. After all, we are trying to build the inquiry skills in our students, so shouldn’t the assessment reflect that philosophy as well? The goal of creating an inquiry-based activity is to have students think, question, and explore a concept, rather than being told what they should know. So why would the assessment not reflect that as well? Coffman (2013) defines assessment “as the process of documenting, in measurable terms, knowledge and skills gained from the lesson or activity” (p. 139). Making sure that the students are exploring and understanding the concepts they need to know is important in designing an inquiry-based activity. We want for the students to be engaged and excited about material, but that is not enough if they do not gain the understanding and skills meant to be acquired.


Another topic that caught my interest in this week’s reading was the concept of a virtual world. I have mixed feelings about these personally, and I do not know that this is a tool I would use in my classroom. However, after reading about the virtual worlds available, I do not doubt the usefulness of such a tool. For example, teachers can use it for their own professional development in order “to improve their practice, reflect on their activities, and learn from others” (Solomon & Schrum, 2010, p. 125). Likewise, students can use virtual worlds to “play, build, interact, and explore” (p. 118). I can see that just like many other Web 2.0 tools, virtual worlds can play a valuable role in education. However, I do not like the trend where interactions are becoming more web-based. Virtual worlds afford opportunities that might not be available otherwise, but I am a huge advocate of getting away from the computer and exploring the world around us, which includes human interactions that are not over an impersonal computer. I do not see myself using this tool. I like for all my social networking to be based on in person interactions.

Sources

Coffman, T. (2013). Using Inquiry in the Classroom: Developing Creative Thinkers and Information Literate Students (2nd ed.)Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education. 

Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2010). Web 2.0: How-to for Educators. Washington, DC: International Society for Technology in Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment