Sunday, March 2, 2014

Module 4 and Mini Projects

Blog Reflection 4

In exploring some of the tools and concepts presented in Module 4, I am having trouble coming up with creative and helpful ways to use them. I see great value in using technology in the classroom, but for my subject material, most of these tools would have to be forced into the lesson, whereas they can be seamlessly integrated into an English or history lesson. In a math class, we do not spend as much time analyzing text or creating stories, so those particular mini projects were not well suited for me. I like the concept of being able to show a video of how to do something, such as creating a construction. However math is already such a visual subject, so giving extra visuals probably will not help students much more. With that being said, I can see great value in creating movies of my lessons for students to view if they are absent, or if they need to see a problem explained again. Even making videos that a substitute could show if I am absent would be a great use of this technology. However, for my everyday classroom lessons, I do not see much value in these tools.

For my project, I selected the talking avatar project. I was disappointed at how little text I could have my avatar say, but I am guessing that paying for an upgrade would allow for longer presentations. I also had trouble with publishing my presentation, and I am still working to get it resolved. One of the many reasons I am so resistant to using technology is because it never seems to work they way I want it to work. Not being the most technologically savvy person, I could see losing a bit too much instructional time due to computer issues.

In reflecting on the reading, I am rather intrigued by telecollaborative activities. Being able to collaborate effectively with others is an important skill in many professions. To have the opportunity to work with others who have different insights due to differences in location and culture is a wonderful learning opportunity for students. Pulling in experts in the field to share information will certainly help increase the relevance of what is being taught in the classroom, and also help to make the curriculum real to the students (Coffman, 2013, p. 109). Telecollaborative activities are perfect for allowing students the opportunity to learn outside the classroom without having to leave it.

In addition, social networking is a powerful tool as well. Many of our students belong to social networks for personal use. Applying the same concepts with a focus on education and learning content is a great way to engage students (Solomon & Schrum, 2010, p. 85). In particular, I think having a social network to go along with classroom instruction would be perfect for situations like what we are experiencing now with the crazy weather. Being on an A/B schedule, I have noticed that my students are having a hard time keeping up to date with all that is going on in my class. Due to loss of class time, we are not able to go into much depth with certain topics because we still have so much to cover before the SOL. The snow has really been affecting how often I meet certain classes, so keeping everyone on the same page has been difficult. If I had a social network set up specifically for my class, my students could come in prepared and knowing what to expect, regardless of what the weather is doing. Social networking can be a great way to stay connected with the students, especially since we do not meet every single day.

Coffman, T. (2013). Using Inquiry in the Classroom: Developing Creative Thinkers and Information Literate Students (2nd ed.)Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education. 

Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2010). Web 2.0: How-to for Educators. Washington, DC: International Society for Technology in Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment