Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Module 6 Reflection

 What I enjoyed most about this module is the focus on distance learning. As a student who has taken a couple of online courses, including this one, I can say that distance learning certainly has its advantages and disadvantages. I believe that it is a powerful option to have for students, especially those who are not able to get the courses they need otherwise. Whether a student has physical or mental health issues and is not able attend school, or a small school district is not able to offer courses to meet the needs of students at the extremes, distance learning is able to afford the opportunity to students who would not receive the education otherwise (Coffman, 2013, p. 163).  

From my personal experiences with online courses, I love the flexibility. Many people have busy schedules, and having the option of working through a course that fits a busy schedule is a blessing. I believe the hardest part is navigating and starting an online course, especially if I am not familiar with the platform, or if the teacher is not as well organized. As a teacher, I know that I would have to have even more structure and organization in order to handle the needs of my students, in addition to an adjustment in my pedagogy (Coffman, 2013, p. 163). As a student, a difficult part of online courses is making sure I do not fall behind. While most courses are not completely self-paced, certain amounts of discipline and time management skills are needed to be successful.

I am not familiar with the distance learning courses offered in my school district. I know that we offer credit recovery programs, which are particularly beneficial to students whose needs cannot be met in a conventional classroom. I believe that distance learning courses would greatly benefit students who are receiving a homebound education as well. Another huge benefit of distance learning is that students can be exposed to many different resources that they might not see otherwise in a traditional classroom (Coffman, 2013, p. 163).

The topic of virtual worlds came up again in this module, and I am still on the fence about this particular method of learning and networking. I am sure that many people find great value, but I believe that these tools do not suit my personality and needs at the moment. Maybe I will come to a time in my career where I will find these tools valuable to me. At this point however, I do not find virtual worlds particularly intriguing. I do realize that for many of my students, this method of learning could be highly engaging and efficient.


As always, I am blown away by all the possibilities when it comes to integrating technology into the classroom. Being a rather uncreative person, I find many of these methods fascinating and intimidating at the same time. However, times are changing, as are our students. In order to be an effective educator, I must reach out and meet the needs of my students, even if it means overcoming some of my own insecurities when it comes to technology.

Resources

Coffman, T. (2013). Using Inquiry in the Classroom: Developing Creative Thinkers and Information Literate Students (2nd ed.)Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment